Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Cheers to Amy and Berekley! And what lessons can we take from this experience...

Jonathan and I just got back from a lovely wedding of a fabulous couple at a beautiful B&B resort in the hills of Vermont. As we were watching these two truly unique people get hitched, thoughts of what we should borrow (not telling) and what we should avoid (minister that talks like she’s in a Shakespearean play…got that Juan?) were running through our minds. Yet, we’ve only been to a limited number of weddings so only have limited experience with this pro/con discussion.


But wait! We have you - the four (potentially) readers of this blog! And assuming that you all have gone to at least five weddings in your lifetimes, that makes twenty weddings to add to this discussion. And if you ask anybody else in the room that you're in we could get up to forty. Yow!

Here’s your task – please comment with some great wedding ideas and things to avoid. We’re only doing this marriage thing once, so really want to make sure it’s pretty much the best thing ever. At the wedding, be on the lookout for your idea to come to fruition – but even if it doesn’t, thanks for the suggestions!

7 comments:

  1. Hey guys! I actually haven't been to any weddings as an adult, so I'm really looking forward to yours! The last one I attended was actually one of my high school friends... when I was sixteen, and she was eighteen. So maybe that's one for the "DO NOT DO" list! :-)

    All of my friends of the wedding-going persuasion seem to say the same thing: the more personal the wedding is for the couple, the better. So anything you all plan I'm sure will be beautiful and perfect! I'm up for anything- whether it be relay-marathoning or biking or doing the tango with you guys, I'm excited! xoxo, ~Ashton

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey you two! my favorite wedding that I went to was in the beautiful mountains of colorado...it's difficult to be in a gorgeous location and not get to explore...so, the bride & groom left time in between the ceremony and reception (while they were getting pictures taken, etc.) for guests to hike a few short trails they had printed out on the back of the wedding program. they told us about this in advance so we all brought our hiking boots and a change of clothes.

    another favorite wedding i went to had a cocktail hour followed by a super delicious and homemade meal before the actual ceremony, which was later in the evening outside when the sun was setting. even though it goes against tradition, both the bride & the groom were out and about at the cocktail hour to greet friends and mingle and catch up with those of us that hadn't seen them in ages. AND as their wedding gift to the guests, they printed out all the recipes from the night's incredible dinner along with poems and quotes that served as the program. sigh, that was a good one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been there, done that and would be glad to help! Sara (since I know you're going to be the one doing the planning:) feel free to email me anytime. General advice is to not spend money on the small things (favors, table decorations etc) because people don't remember them and they really aren't significant for why people are there. Make the wedding as personal as possible- guests love the personal touch and those are the details that you'll remember in the future. Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recommend playing the Electric Slide and the Macarena as many times as possible as well as Starship's song, "Sara". I hear Sara loves that song...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be yourselves (choose things that make you happy and your guests comfortable) and enjoy the time with family and friends. Really, anything is else is gravy.
    Oh, wait, and have a good deejay - that helps, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been fortunate to attend several great weddings and they all had one thing in common – all were very personalized. From a meadow in the hills of western Massachusetts (summertime) to a cozy home (winter) they promoted a sense of community and shared experiences. When all is said and done, this event is about you two sharing your commitment to each other with friends and family. Recognition by church or state is just a formality (plus a filing fee of course). So anything you can do to make it your day (week) and share it with others will be what is remembered and treasured.

    I think your approach of several events will go far in accomplishing that as will asking people to help out. I highly concur with your approach of parceling out assignments to individuals – have a list of specific activities for all those willing to volunteer (from shopping to clean-up, picking up flowers, taking pictures, etc.). The time is too hectic and too precious for you to be worrying about every little detail. Post your assignment list prominently so everyone knows who’s in charge of what.

    From a personal perspective, I think music (live or canned) is a universal language that everyone can relate to. So having music at the event(s) is certainly a plus (just who are the Conjugal Visitors?). Add a little food, some vino and everyone is happy.

    Let me know what I can do….

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even though this says Juan, it's Hilary speaking! The biggest disasters I've experienced at wedding to avoid are family related.... at one reception, the father-in-law of the bride died in the bathroom... not a good idea for promoting celebration and festivity. At others, the families played too big a role (both financially, and therefore in the planning), and the bride and groom lost control of it being their event, there was a lot of friction and stress, and in one case the bride was completely preoccupied with that. On the positive side, I agree with everything Juan suggested! Make sure people know the events are optional... many will want to just schmooze and hang out. xoxoxo Hilary

    ReplyDelete